From left to right: Edna Bella Salčin, James Ryan Viason Flores, and True Geralds

Student singers uplift and inspire at UCLA College commencement

From left to right, UCLA College 2023 Commencement singers Edna Bella Salčin, James Ryan Viason Flores, and True Geralds

From left to right, UCLA College 2023 Commencement singers Edna Bella Salčin, James Ryan Viason Flores and True Geralds

UCLA College | June 13, 2023

In addition to a student quartet from the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music — Madison Chamberlain, Kevin Corrigan, Milla Moretti and Leland Smith — who will perform the alma mater, three student singers will share their vocal talents June 16 at the 2023 UCLA College commencement celebrations in Pauley Pavilion.

Please join us in congratulating this year’s student solo singers, who will each perform the national anthem:

11 A.M. CEREMONY

True Geralds is a physiological sciences and Spanish major born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia. It was a UCLA tour guide’s mention of the white walls in UCLA’s art school fostering personalized creativity that sealed the deal for Geralds that UCLA was, without a doubt, the one place that would create a space where she would grow to succeed, no matter the path she chose.

Through opportunities such as volunteering at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center as a care extender for four years and taking part in Professor Brett Dolezal’s UC Fit Digital Health exercise physiology lab at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Geralds has discovered a furious passion to help others and hopes to matriculate to physician assistant school after graduation. She would like to extend an immensity of gratitude to UCLA for giving her a home away from home these past four years and wishes her fellow graduates and their families the best — it is with every ounce of confidence that she sincerely believes you all can and will change the world someday.

“UCLA has been a home away from home for me. Even 2,000 miles away, from the moment I started here in fall of 2019 I have found myself surrounded by the most passionate, driven, curious, like-minded people about every concept under the sun, which is such an inspiring environment to grow in, and I will always thank UCLA and my fellow Bruins for pushing me to be the best version of myself.”

3 P.M. CEREMONY

Edna Bella Salčin is an international development studies student at UCLA who grew up in Palm Desert, California. Having emigrated from Croatia at a very young age, she always knew that she wanted to attend college to make her parents’ sacrifices worthwhile. Her background also prompted her to double minor in history and Central and Eastern European studies.

Inspired by her mother’s experiences living through the Bosnian war, Salčin came to UCLA knowing she wanted to study international politics and later pursue a career in law. While at UCLA, she was able to further develop her interests by centering her studies around developing countries and, whenever possible, focusing on the Balkan region. She also helped found the Balkan Bruins club at UCLA, which brings students from the region together through movie nights, picnics and socials.

Salčin will be enrolling at the University of Washington School of Law and credits her strong support system for her success, specifically her parents, roommates, friends and professors.

“UCLA has meant finding friends for life, sharing my stories and culture with those around me, and understanding what people mean when they say the college years are the best years of your life.”

7 P.M. CEREMONY

James Ryan Viason Flores is from Brentwood, California, and is graduating with a B.A. in psychology. Born to Filipino immigrant parents, Flores was taught early on that he could do whatever he put his mind to.

He began his undergraduate journey at Santa Monica College in 2019, eager to find a way to his dream school, UCLA. After graduating from the SMC Scholars Program, Flores transferred to UCLA in the fall of 2021.

Over the past two years, he has been heavily involved in UCLA student life. He joined Resonance, one of UCLA’s premier all-gender a cappella groups, and served as its business director and choreographer his senior year. Flores has performed across campus and the greater Los Angeles area, even at Spring Sing!

In addition, Flores was a camp counselor for UniCamp and a student worker for the Charles E. Young Research Library. To end his journey at UCLA, he will be working this summer as a new student advisor for incoming freshmen and transfers.

Flores thanks everybody that he’s crossed paths with at UCLA for creating friendships and memories that will last a lifetime, but also for helping him realize his passion for inspiring and empowering young people into future leaders. He is honored and privileged to be chosen as a commencement singer!

“UCLA has meant everything to me. These past two years have been some of the most challenging and yet fulfilling years of my life, and for that I thank UCLA for pushing me to my fullest potential. UCLA has been a home away from home because of the people that I’ve met and connected with. They all mean the absolute world to me, and it’s because of UCLA that I got to cross paths with them.”

For more of Our Stories at the College, click here.